Please note; the open bursary period for this quarter is now closed. The new funding cycle opens on Monday 6th July.
Personal and Professional Criteria
To be eligible for funding, you must meet the following criteria:
- Application to be received by EMD UK at least 5 workings days before your course start date. Applications sent after this time will not be accepted.
- The course you are applying for must start within the same 3 months of the bursary funding quarter (see other conditions for more information)
- Be actively teaching in England within 1 month of completing your training as per the full bursary terms and conditions
- Be able to demonstrate how the training will increase participation or improve the retention of current class participants within the group exercise industry.
- If applying for funding to complete Continuous Professional Development (CPD) training, you must hold one of the following Cimspa Accredited qualifications:
- Level 2 Fitness Instructing
- Level 2 Group Training to Music
- Level 2 Group Training
- Level 2 (DFQ) Exercise, Movement and Dance
- Level 3 Personal Trainer
- Level 3 Yoga
- Leve 3 Pilates qualification.
- You must upload a copy of your certificate as part of the application process.
If you are a Teacher and Instructor Member of EMD UK, you will be able to receive up to £125 funding towards a CPD course, or up to £175 towards a qualification (up to 50% of the course cost, whichever is least). If you are not a Teacher and Instructor Member of EMD UK, you will be able to receive up to £100 funding towards a CPD course, or up to £150 funding towards a qualification (up to 50% of the course cost, whichever is least).
Want to do a CPD course, but do not hold a fitness qualification? Check out our fitness qualifications here.
Application for the Open Bursary funding must:
- Be in a recognised fitness style and offered by one of our Pro or Accelerate organisation members.
- Be endorsed by EMD UK.
- Be used for teaching or instructing purposes, not activities such as tutoring, quality assurance or mentoring, or level 2 or level 3 qualifications offered by EMD UK.
After completing your training and to be able to become a member of EMD UK you must agree that:
- You will adhere to industry regulations on the use of music in public places (e.g. PPL & PRS).
- You will adhere to government guidance issued with regards group exercise.
- You will hold the relevant professional insurance for your activities and provide us with evidence of such insurance
- If you are working with children, young people, and/or vulnerable adults on a regular, unsupervised basis (once a month or more), you possess an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Scheme Check carried out within the last 2 years.
- You will hold a valid First Aid Certificate dated within the last 2 years or have adequate first aid cover in place where you teach
- You will abide by EMD UK’s Code of Ethics.
- There is a limit of two bursaries per person (one bursary in any 12-month period)
- You can only apply for funding towards one course per application.
- The funding must be applied to a course start date within the financial quarter of applying.
- Funding will be open in rounds, starting the first Monday of each quarter. If this falls on a Bank Holiday, the round will open on the next working day. Once the funding has been allocated for that round, the funding will be closed until the first Monday of the next quarter.
- The opening submission dates for funding applications will be 6th July 2020, 5th October 2020 and 11th January 2021.
- Payment of the bursary will be made after the training is completed.
- You must claim your bursary funding before the expiry date set by EMD UK. You will be advised of this date if your application is successful.
EMD UK reserve the right to amend the Open Bursary eligibility Terms and Conditions at any point without prior notice. Funding is subject to availability.