Insurance. It’s not the most exciting topic out there, we know, but as a group fitness professional it’s really important that you have sufficient insurance cover to protect both your class participants and yourself.

Nobody wants to expect the worst but accidents can and do happen from time to time in group exercise classes.

Here are some top tips from your national governing body on how to avoid the drama of an insurance claim

  1. Keep your insurance policies up-to-date and understand what they cover you for.
  2. If you teach specialist groups (e.g. cardiac rehab, fall prevention etc), or even activities like Yoga or Pilates, ensure you are covered to do so – you may need to upgrade your premium.
  3. Only teach classes and advise on subjects that you are qualified in. This may seem obvious but it’s sometimes forgotten.
  4. Ensure your qualifications are up-to-date and take regular CPD to further your knowledge
  5. Make sure your class environment is safe by doing regular risk assessments and taking action on any identified risks
  6. Keep a written record of any incident, no matter how small, that could result in a claim
  7. Ensure that you always ask participants to declare any injuries, health problems or pregnancies at the start of every class and make appropriate adaptations

Are you sure you have the right insurance?

Given the number of participants involved in group exercise these days, there are certain risks that you need to consider. As a fitness professional, it’s your responsibility to have the right, up-to-date insurance and that you understand exactly what it covers you for.

It can be super confusing looking at all the different types of insurance cover out there. You may be asking yourself, “Do I need public liability, professional liability, product liability – or all of these? What’s the difference between personal property and personal accident insurance?” It’s a lot to get your head around!

Other insurance for group fitness professionals

Often fitness professionals will forget they also need to insure themselves! Personal accident insurance will cover you in the event that you are injured and unable to work as a result.

You might think it will never happen, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry. It could be very helpful to have this cover when it comes to unexpected costs such as physiotherapy or other medical treatment required for an injury sustained while at work.

The other type of insurance you should consider is personal property or sports equipment insurance. This provides cover against the loss, damage or theft of any of your equipment. It’s a good idea to have this insurance, especially if you have lots of expensive equipment that you rely on when teaching your classes.

You can get all of the above insurances and much more as part of your instructor support package from EMD UK.

Want to know more about insurance for group exercise instructors? Get the lowdown from our handy infographic here.

Not insured yet? Or is your insurance due to expire soon? Check out our instructor support packages here.