Bespoke fitness industry online music licence
Go back to playing copyrighted and original artist music in your live online and on demand classes
EMD UK has secured a bespoke licence for fitness instructors to be able to play their regular playlists in their online classes.
Who can use the licence?
If you wish to buy the licence, you must:
- Be a Level 2 minimum or equivalent qualified fitness instructor (or Level 3 dance) and have your certificate to hand when buying – you will be asked to upload it as proof. (Please click here to view a list of all accepted qualifications)
- Be based in the UK
- Only use the licence for your fitness/dance classes. Any music used in videos which are outside of our sector for either participants or training, will breach the licence terms and conditions.
What do I need to know?
- The licence is currently valid until 30 June 2021.
- The licence costs for licence for Nov-June is £175.20, Dec – June is £153.30 and January onwards is £131.40. These prices include VAT.
- The licence is valid for live classes online. Please note; you will still need to use your PPL credits. EMD UK members get discounted PPL.
- The licence is valid for on demand content. However, each on demand class must only be available to the public for a limited period from upload of 2 weeks.
- You must submit your playlists each month direct to PRS for Music on firstname.lastname@example.org
Once submitted the verification process may take up to 2 working days from receipt.
What is the licence?
The licence is made up of two parts:
- PRS Limited Online Music Licence (LOML) – terms and conditions of LOML found here and,
- The new sync upgrade – terms and conditions found here
The entry level Band AA LOML allows 180,000 web casts per annum.
If your class has 20 participants and uses 15 songs, you will be using 300 streams per class (20 x 15). 10 classes per week, makes it 3,000 per week (20 x 15 x 10).
If you think you will need a higher limit please contact email@example.com for a cost for the appropriate level.
If you already have purchased a LOML licence directly from PRS for Music, then you will only need to purchase the bolt on for sync permissions.
Where can I stream my classes?
This licence allows you to stream your classes on any digital platform. However, certain platforms have their own agreements with music Publishers and you still may get blocked due to their algorithms. We therefore recommend the following:
- Microsoft Teams
- Facebook Messenger
- Instagram Messenger
- Google Meet
- WhatsApp group call
- Your own website
Where might my classes be blocked?
- Facebook Live
- Facebook groups
- Instagram Live / IGTV
This is because the algorithms of these sites block any copyrighted music they detect, even if you have a licence. You can be whitelisted by the copyright owner via Rights Manager on Facebook; however, you will need permission from all copyright owners of each song to do so. Find out more about Rights Manager here.